Soar over the capital with the Emirates Air Line Cable Car, which gives passengers spectacular views of London’s dramatic skyline.
- Take in the incredible views of the Thames Barrier, the skyscrapers of Canary Wharf and the impressive Olympic Park.
- Go on a personalised walking tour of Greenwich, after disembarking, where you can visit many world-class tourist attractions, such as the Cutty Sark.
- Enjoy a rapid journey time of five minutes or treat yourself to a 360-journey.
What to see and do
Pay for tickets and plan your route
The Emirates Air Line Cable Car is under a five-minute walk from the North Greenwich tube station and Royal Victoria station at the other end of the line. If the weather is fine, the views will be fantastic in all directions!
From its highest vantage point (90m) you will be able to see different London landmarks such as the London Eye, the Greenwich Observatory, the Shard, the Gherkin, Canary Wharf, Wembley Stadium, the Olympic Stadium, the London City Airport, the Crystal and the O2!
When departing from the Royal Docks, the cable car touches down south of the River Thames in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, just by the O2 Arena.
It looks a bit like a ski lift, but as you approach the cabins, the vibe is one of a slick and stylish airport. After take-off, the views are incredibly beautiful and offer views of London from an entirely new perspective.
The stunning Greenwich skyline on a bright, sunny day will leave you speechless! The ride takes about ten minutes, but it is such fun, it feels like one minute, and you will want to go again! You’ll land only ten minutes away from the massive entertainment complex of the O2 Arena, which features many bars, a cinema, live music venues and a nightclub.
See the capital at different times of the day
Evening flights are recommended for a romantic sunset trip or night-time flights to admire the city lights!
The Discovery Experience
Make the most of the Emirates Air Line Cable car by booking the Discovery Experience tour for a return trip with great value extras. The Discovery Experience incorporates an interesting video tour and free entrance to one of the newest attractions in London, the Emirates Aviation Experience. You will also receive a souvenir guide filled with interesting facts.
The Emirates Aviation Experience
The Emirates Aviation Experience is conveniently situated next to the Emirates Air Line Greenwich Peninsula terminal. It provides visitors with fascinating insights into the workings and achievements of international air travel. Interactive displays and life-size aircraft models make this a wholly immersive experience that will appeal to all ages.
Champagne flight experience
Could this be the ultimate way to enjoy the high life with a glass of indulgent champagne in your private cabin on the cable car, while flying 90 metres above the River Thames?
You will be greeted at the cable car by a welcoming member of staff, who will guide you to your own private cabin with a glass of chilled champagne. You’ll then depart on a non-stop return trip on the Emirates Air Line cable car with a duration of 20 minutes, accompanied by background music and a souvenir in-flight guide.
Did you know: (5 interesting facts!)
- Gondolas arrive approximately every 30 seconds and flights have a duration of ten minutes each way.
- The cable car cost £60m to build (more than twice the original estimate).
- The cable car is 1,150m long and 90m high.
- The cable car has 34 cabins, each of which has a capacity for ten passengers. There are also two empty gondolas used for maintenance staff.
- It is capable of carrying 5,000 people an hour.
- 18 March 2011 – The Greater London Authority gives the green light for the cable car over the Thames.
- 7 October 2011 – Emirates agrees to sponsor the planned Thames cable car in a ten-year deal worth £36 million.
- 28 June 2012 – The Emirates Airline cable car opens to the public for the first time in time for the Olympic Games, which were held in the capital in July 2012.
- 20 March 2020 – Transport to London announces that the Emirates Airline cable car temporarily closes due to the coronavirus pandemic and the need for social distancing.
Facilities and accessibility
All passenger gondolas are ready for disabled persons using wheelchairs, including those with leg rest extensions.
There is room for two bicycles in each gondola or cabin.
It is possible to book a cabin for exclusive use for groups of up to 10 people.
There is a range of tickets and packages.