Route & what to see

site map

St John's Wood, as the name implies was once a wooded area owned by the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. The area developed in the 19th century with the formation of Regent's Park and the construction of the Canal. The walk includes the Lisson Grove area and part of the Regent's Canal and Park. There are attractive buildings in a wide variety of styles to be seen. Church Street is lined with stalls and shops, including antiques shops. The former churchyard of St John's Wood Church has been made into a pleasant park. There are places to eat along the route. The churchyard park is suitable for picnics

The walk described is circular from Baker Street Tube Station (Bakerloo, Jubilee, Circle, Hammersmith & Metropolitan lines) but Marylebone and St John’s Wood Stations are on the route together with Maida Vale a short walk away. The distance is about 5 miles with St John’s Wood Station about halfway. It is possible to split the walk into two shorter routes by taking Aberdeen Place between Edgware Road and Cunningham Place.

Take the Baker Street north exit from the station
Opposite is
Dorset House 1935 – Art Deco flats with roof garden

To the right of this block take Melcombe Street and 2nd right into Glentworth Street.
Mansion flats
and St Cyprian’s Church 1903 by Ninian Comper.

Left into Park Road
Francis Holland School 1915 in Arts & Crafts style and
Steiner Institute 1922-37

Left across Gloucester Place into Taunton Place and left into Linhope Street
Former Westminster Bank & attractive houses

Left at the top of the road
Notice Huntsworth Mews to the left

Right into Gloucester Place
On the right is Dorset Square 1804 site of the Ist Lord’s Cricket Ground (marked by plaques)

Go along the south side of the square and continue along Melcombe Place between the station and the newly refurbished Landmark Hotel
Marylebone Station is served by Bakerloo and main/surbuban lines and has places for refreshments & toilet facilities. It was built in 1899 by H W Braddock for the Great Central Railway on the Portman Nursery site. An M&S Foodstore occupies the old wood-panelled ticket office.There are some old photographs on display at the side exit into Harewood Street and there are attractive new buildings behind the station.

Continue along Harewood Row, right into Lisson Grove and first left into Bell Street
Christ Church 1825 by Thomas & Phillip Hardwick is now in office/studio use

Right into Ranston Street (formerly Charles Street)
Almond & St Botolphs Cottages are Octavia Hill houses of 1895

Right into Ashmill Street (formerly Devonshire Street)
Jeremy Dixon starter homes built 1988. Houses dated 1824

Left into Lisson Grove
The Social Security offices stand on the site of Spencer, Turner & Boldero's department store and warehouse

Second left into Church Street
Antique shops, local shops, fruit & vegetable and general stalls (toilets). The Church Street Library to the left occupies the site of a former theatre. At the end of the street notice the temporary false buildings including a pub opposite.

Right into Edgware Road, first right into Boscobel Street, left into Hatton Street
The Spitfire Works was occupied by the Palmer Tyre Co and manufactured aircraft parts during WWII (see plaque). This was redeveloped by Terry Farrell in 1985-8 and includes their architectural practice. Look at the Penfold Street elevation which is totally different and was formerly a furniture factory (now apartments).

Return to and continue along Edgware Road
Notice on the left the Regents Canal which emerges from a tunnel and flows between Maida Avenue and Blomfield Road

Continue along Maida Vale
Edgware Road and Maida Vale have blocks of mansion flats in various styles including Art Deco.

Right into Hall Road, first left into Hamilton Terrace
This section has ‘stripey’ houses on the west side & villas on the east

Right into Abercorn Place (Maida Vale Station – Bakerloo line - is to the left)
St Mark’s Church 1847 by Thomas Cundy. No. 28 was the purpose-built home & studio of artist J J O’Connor

Detour right along Abbey Road
The Abbey Road Studios as used by the Beatles is at number 3. The famous zebra crossing is nearby.

Return along Abbey Road, past Abercorn Place then right into Langford Place
Note the unusual house at number 12 and the attractive Langford Close to the left.

Right into Loudoun Road
The American School in London is on the left and ahead at the end of the road is the Humana Hospital.

Left into Grove End Road, across Wellington Road
St John’s Wood Underground Station (Jubilee line) 1930s style

Continue along Acacia Road
To the left are the former barracks of the Royal Horse Artillery (previously St John’s Wood Farm site)

Second right into St Ann’s Terrace and continue along St John’s Wood High Street where there are shops and cafes. Right into Wellington Place.
Cabman’s Shelter. The old burial ground of St John’s Wood Church is now a public park with toilets, a nature area and views of Lord’s Cricket ground buildings. The church of 1813 is by Thomas Hardwick. There is a statue of George & the Dragon on the roundabout in front of the church

From this point you can return to Baker Street by bus from Park Road. To continue the walk take St John’s Wood Road
There is a sporting bas relief on the corner which was the former site of the Clergy Orphans School
The road continues alongside Lord’s Cricket Ground of 1814 (on its third site). Notice at the end the WG Grace gates of 1923.

Cross Lisson Grove
Notice in this road the Church of Our Lady (R.C.) 1836 by J Scoles

Next left into Cunningham Place
At the end is Crocker’s Folly an Arts & Crafts pub of the 1890s

Opposite this take the steps down to the Regents Canal (signposted to Camden Lock) and follow the canal towpath
The path passes under a road, look back to note the house built on this bridge. The next section was once the site of fashionable villas but is now lined with houseboats. Take care as this part of the towpath has humps!
After the next bridge the path enters Regents Park where there are new villas by Quinlan Terry on the right

When you come to a footbridge over the canal take the slope up to the left and cross this bridge into the park. Take the right fork as the path divides - twice
Behind the trees to the right is Winfield House – the American ambassadors residence

At the toilets go right crossing two bridges. There is a park caf here
From here you can see the London Central Mosque 1977 with its copper dome and minaret

Walk alongside the lake.
Across this you can see the Holme of 1819 one of the original villas designed by Decimus Burton

Just before a footbridge across the lake there is an exit to the right. Follow the signs back to Baker Street
There is a Sherlock Holmes Museum (at number 239) and shop on this street. The Abbey National building, which occupies 221, has a plaque and statue. 2015

[additional information] [walks list]