A Marylebone Walk

Route & what to see


A 4 mile linear walk from Goodge Street Station (Northern line) to Marylebone or Baker Street Stations.

On exiting the station go left into Tottenham Street then first left at Whitfield Street.
Pollocks Toy Museum occupies a corner site.

Right along Scala Street, left at Charlotte Street, right into Goodge Street. Go left at the pedestrianised Charlotte Place continuing along Rathbone Street. Go right through Newman Passage then right at Newman Street. At the end cross and continue along Cleveland Street.
The site of the Middlesex Hospital has been redeveloped.

Detour into Riding House Street to the left for a view of All Souls School by Beresford Pite and an old wall advertisement. Return and continue along Cleveland Street.
The Strand Union Workhouse of 1788 later served as an outpatients department for the hospital. It is now being redeveloped. [
more info]

Detour right into Howland Street to view the Sainsbury Wellcome Centre by Ian Ritchie

Return and continue along Cavendish Street then second left along Hanson Street.
Numbers 16 - 20 are 18th century houses. The street also has tenements of 1910.

At the end detour right along Foley Street to view elaborate ironwork (by Commes Forge of Princes Risborough) of former public toilets outside the Crown & Sceptre pub.

Return along Foley Street.
There is a blue plaque to the artist Henry Fuseli.

Right at Candover Street.
Buildings here have Art Nouveau styling. Boultings (established in 1808) have premises of 1903 with tiled advertisements. [

Cross Riding House Street into Nassau Street.
The frontage of the former Radium Wing with terracotta work has been retained with new flats built behind. Tenements including Titan House were built in 1890.

Left along Mortimer Street. Detour left into Pearson Square.
The former Grade II* listed hospital chapel by JL Pearson with a beautiful interior has been retained. It is now known as the Fitrovia Chapel. [

Return and cross Mortimer Street into Berners Street.
The former premises of Sandersons (1957-60) is now a hotel.

Right along Eastcastle Street.
The Champion pub features stained glass. The Welsh Baptist Chapel was built in 1889.

Right at Great Titchfield Street then right along Margaret Street.
All Saints Church was designed by William Butterfield in 1849-59 along with the clergy house and school of 1870 (now a Temple). On the corner are the premise sof Hand & Lock, embroiderers.

Left at Wells Street and left along Mortimer Street.
Radiant House of 1915 has a striking tiled upper storey.

Right at Great Portland Street, right into Riding House Street then left through Middleton Buildings.
This has 'third rate' houses and at the end the Yorkshire Grey pub of 1860. Across in Langham Street the tiled Langham Court Hotel was the former nurses' home of 1901. [

Left along Langham Street, left at Great Portland Street then right along Riding House Street.
All Souls Church was designed by John Nash in 1820 and built 1822-4. It was repaired after WWII bomb damage by Goodhart-Rendel and adapted for BBC use in 1975-6. The Langham Hotel was built in 1863 and restored in 1989-90.

Right at Langham Place continuing along Portland Place.
Broadcasting House was built in 1931 to the designs of Colonel Val Myer and features sculptures by Eric Gill. It had a major restoration and expansion for the 21st century.

Left into Duchess Street.
On the left is the coach house to Chandos House (to be seen later) designed by Adam and featuring sphinx decoration.

Left at Mansfield Street and left at Queen Anne Street.
At number two is Chandos House designed by Robert & James Adam in 1769-71 and now owned by the Royal Society of Medicine.

Continue along Chandos Street.
On the right are premises of the Medical Society of London founded in 1773.

Right at Cavendish Square
This has a pleasant park. The Royal College of Nursing has premises on the east side.

Continue along Wigmore Street.
Wigmore Hall (originally called Bechstein Hall) was built in 1901 by the German piano firm next to its showrooms on Wigmore Street. It was designed by English architect Thomas Collcutt in Renaissance style, using alabaster and marble on walls, flooring and stairway. WWI made life difficult for German firms in London and the Bechstein affairs were wound up by the Board of Trade. At auction in 1916, the entire business - including studios, offices, warehouses, 137 pianos, and the Hall itself - was sold to Debenhams for 56,500. The Hall alone had cost 100,000 to build. It re-opened in 1917. Further along on the left the former premises of Debenham & Freebody, built in 1907-8, are now used by a variety of shops.

Go right along Marylebone Lane then right into Bulstrode Street.
This has some 18th century buildings.

Left at Welbeck Street then left along New Cavendish Street.
This has Art Nouveau buildings including Crofton House and the former dairy of B Davis & Son at numbers 14-16.

At the end go left along Thayer Street and right at George Street.
St James RC Church, Spanish Place has interior work by JF Bentley. Opposite is the rear of the Wallace Collection building.

Right at Manchester Street.
There is a blue plaque to Beaufort (of wind speed fame). Opposite the attractive Manchester Mews gives another view of the church.

Left at Blandford Street and right into Chiltern Street.
The former fire station of 1889 is now a hotel.

Return to Blandford Street and go left then left along Aysbrook Street.
Number 32, a late 19th century factory, was converted to offices by Richard Rogers in 1969-71. Ossington Buildings at the end are industrial dwellings of 1888.

Right at Moxon Street then left along Marylebone Lane
Daunt Bookshop has original features including oak galleries and skylights.

Left at Paddington Street then left through Grotto Passage (by number 57).
In the 1750s this was the site of Mr Castle's yard and grotto showroom. There is a former Ragged School building.

Left into Garbutt Place.
There is a plaque to Octavia Hill who bought the properties here in 1865.

Right at Moxon Street then enter Paddington Street recreation ground ahead.
This was formerly a burial ground for St George's (see information boards).

Walk through to Paddington Street.
To the right is the former Central Institute for Swedish Gymnastics designed by Forsyth & Maule in 1910. It served as a war hospital 1914-8 and is now the Hellenic Centre.

Continue left along Paddington Street then go right into Chiltern Street.
Former school buildings of 1859 are now occupied by the Evangelical Library. A dispensary and relief office was built for the parish of St Marylebone in 1872. Portman Mansions were constructed 1890-1900.

Left at Porter Street. Cross Baker Street and continue along Bickenhall Street. Right at Gloucester Place then left along Marylebone Road.
The town hall was designed by Sir Edwin Cooper in 1912-8. He was also responsible for the adjacent library of 1938-9. These are being redeveloped for the London Business School.

Left at Upper Montague Street and right along York Street.
St John's Ambulance occupies the former St Marylebone Western National School of 1824, repaired following war damage.

Left into Wyndham Place.
St Mary's Church of 1821-3 was designed by Sir Robert Smirke. Tarrant Place is by Quinlan Terry (1989).

Exit back onto York Street and go left
York Street Chambers of 1892 were built as accommodation for professional women (see cartouche). They also feature stained glass. Further along are some attractive shopfronts.

Right at Seymour Place
The former baths (1897) served as a magistrate's court before being converted to residential use. The present courts are located on Marylebone Road. Opposite the former Philological College (later St Marylebone Grammar School) of 1856-7 was converted to offices in 1989.

Right at Marylebone Road
On the right are the former Samaritan Hospital of 1889 and Western Eye Hospital. The premises for Woolworth opposite were designed by R Seifert & Partners in 1955.

Left along Harewood Avenue
The Landmark Hotel is contemporary with Marylebone Station but was for a time used as railway offices.

Right at Melcombe Place
Marylebone is an attractive station designed by HW Braddock in 1899 for the Great Central Railway.

To access Baker Street Station continue through Dorset Square. Cross Gloucester Place into Melcombe Street. At the end go right into Baker Street.

london-footprints.co.uk 2019


Buildings of England - London 3: North West by Cherry & Pevsner