A Dalston Walk

Route & what to see


A 5 mile circular walk. Instructions are given from Dalston Junction Station but Dalston Kingsland is nearby. Both are Overground stations.

Use bus station exit onto Kingsland Road. Cross and go into Stamford Road.
The alignment of this road was part of a scheme planned by James Burton around 1818 for William Rhodes. However the area was not developed until the 1830s-1840s when the ground landlord Benyon de Beauvoir regained possession.

Left along Hertford Road then right at Englefield Road.
On the right is the former baths of the 1930s, converted to a restaurant.

Left at Mortimer Road then walk through De Beauvoir Square.
The square and St Peter's Church (SW corner) were developed in the 1840s. The east side, originally completed in 1823, has been rebuilt. The central garden has been awarded a Green Flag.

Exit via St Peters Way (SE corner) then cross into Haggerston Road.
The green is a remnant of Stonebridge Common.

Walk via Albion Terrace into Albion Square.
This was developed in the 1840s with villas and terraces. A Literary & Scientific Institute on the west side was replaced by houses in the 1990s.

Exit at the far side along Albion Drive then go left at Queensbridge Road.
The school was built in 1897.

Right at Lavender Grove, left along Malvern Road. Left at Richmond Road then right along Parkholme Road.
These roads have a variety of mainly Victorian housing.

Right along Wilton Way
The SLB school building was designed in 1885. There was a separate caretaker's house and manual instruction centre.

Left along Navarino Road, crossing Graham Road.
At the end are Navarino Mansions, built for Jewish artisans in 1903-4 by the 4% Industrial Dwelling Society.

Left at Dalston Lane then first left along Greenwood Road. Right at Fassett Road into Fassett Square.
This is thought to be the inspiration for Eastenders Albert Square. The east wing of the former German Hospital (1936) is on the west side.

Exit into Graham Road and go right.
Detour into Clifton Grove to view the former German Hospital. This was opened in 1864 and enlarged in 1876. It was closed in 1963 and converted to housing in 1995-8. [

Return to and continue along Graham Road taking next right into Stannard Road.
The former Hamburg Lutheran Church was built in 1875 to replace a church in Little Trinity Lane. There is another view of the former hospital buildings.

Exit via Ritson Road into Dalston Lane and go left.
At the corner a former church and vicarage have been converted to housing. Detour right into Tyssen Street to view the former Shannon Furniture factory of 1903-5. The Peace Mural is at the entrance to Dalston Curve Eastern Garden which was built on abandoned railway land [
website]. The Dalston Square development opposite has public facilities including a new library (also home to Hackney Archives).

Right at Ashwin Street
The former Reeves premises were built in the late 19th century and 1913. Part of the building is occupied by the Arcola Theatre. The Shiloh Pentecostal Chapel was built for the Baptists in 1871.

Right at Kingsland High Street then right along Ridley Road
There is a street market here.

Left at St Marks Rise.
The enormous church was built in 1862-6 to serve new housing in the area.

Right at Colvestone Crescent then left along Cecilia Road.
The Petchey Academy replaced Kingsland School.

Go around the green to the right then right into Perch Street.
These houses were built in the 1880s.

Continue around April Street and Seal Street back to the main road then go right along Shacklewell Lane.
St Barnabas Merchant Taylors School Mission was built in 1909-11. The former baths opened in 1931. The Uktit Sheik Nazim mosque and cultural centre was built as a synagogue in 1903.

Left at Kingsland High Street.
The Rio Cinema was built in 1913-5 and restyled in 1937.

Right through Gillet Square.
This provides a space for events.

Continue across Boleyn Road along St Jude Street. Left along King Henry's Walk.
There is a community garden which is open to the public on Saturday afternoons (also Suns in summer) [

Left along Balls Pond Road.
Our Lady & St Joseph RC Church was built in 1962-4. Brunswick Terrace is dated 1812. The Asylum of the Metropolitan Benefit Society was founded in 1829. The north section was added in 1836 and the wings in 1865. The central portion was rebuilt in 1931. At the main road are a former bank and Crown & Castle pub.

Cross to the station.


Buildings of England London 4: North by Cherry & Pevsner
Making space in Dalston [


london-footprints.co.uk 2012