A City Churches (non Wren) Walk

Route & what to see


After 1250 AD London was rebuilt within the old Roman walls with parish churches and monastic establishments. The latter were largely destroyed at the Reformation of the 1530s.
The Great Fire of London in 1666 destroyed four fifths of the city and many of its churches. Those that were rebuilt in the following years were mostly designed by Sir Christopher Wren.
This walk covers the section of the city which escaped the Great Fire. It features churches by a number of architects ranging in date from medieval to post-war. Three of the churches were sited at city gates and three were victims of the IRA bombings of the 1990s.

A 1 mile walk linking some non-Wren city churches. It begins at Aldgate tube station and finishes at Moorgate Station.
Note: There is no day when it is possible to view the interior of all the churches (please check those you wish to see). There are no admission charges but donations are appreciated. Several churches have postcards & guidebooks for sale. There may be services or concerts, especially at lunchtime.

Exit Aldgate station and turn right
There is a police telephone box and a drinking fountain with chained cup at the entrance to the churchyard. ST BOTOLPH -WITHOUT-ALDGATE is open Tuesdays 11-3 & Thursdays 10-3.

Cross Duke's Place towards the school
This is the St John Cass Foundation School, associated with the church.

Continue along Leadenhall Street
A small portion of the remains of Holy Trinity Priory is visable through the window of the Towergate building. ST KATHERINE CREE is open weekdays 10:30-4.

Cross the road to view the exterior, including the sundial on the south wall, then continue along Leadenhall Street.
ST ANDREW UNDERSHAFT is only open by arrangement but can be viewed from the entrance lobby.

Right at St Mary Axe. Left at the footpath just beyond the car park entrance. Go round to view the front of the church before entering via the offices.
ST HELEN BISHOPSGATE is open weekdays 9:30-5.

Continue into Bishopsgate and go right.
ST ETHELBURGAS is open Wednesdays & Fridays 11-3.

Continue along Bishopsgate
ST BOTOLPH-WITHOUT-BISHOPSGATE is open weekdays 8-5:30. The building alongside was originally a school and the alcoves held figures of charity children.

Walk through Bishopsgate Churchyard then go left along Old Broad Street and right into London Wall.
ALL HALLOWS-ON-THE-WALL is open Fridays 11-3.

Cross London Wall into Great Winchester Street and go through Austin Friars Passage to the right.
THE DUTCH CHURCH is open weekdays 9:30-12 & 2-4:30 by arrangement. Tel 020 7588 1684.

Take the passage through to Throgmorton Street and go right. Cross London Wall into Blomfield Street. At the end bear left into Eldon Street.
ST MARY MOORFIELDS is open weekdays 7-6:30.

Continue along South Place then left along Moorgate to the station.


london-footprints.co.uk 2010

[additional information] [walkslist]