A Chiswick Walk

Route & what to see


A 2 mile walk (not including park circuit) from Hammersmith Station (Hammersmith, Piccadilly & District lines) through riverside Chiswick and around the grounds of Chiswick House. Finish at Chiswick Station (National Rail) or continue along Strand-on-the-Green to Kew Bridge Station (National Rail) - an extra mile. Bus 190 returns to Hammersmith from Burlington Lane. The gardens of Chiswick House are free and the house is managed by English Heritage. Hogarth's House is open most afternoons (free admission). There are riverside pubs or a cafe in Chiswick House Gardens for refreshments.

From the station follow the signs to the Hammersmith Apollo and go down Queen Caroline Street alongside.
The former cinema of 1932 is now a venue for concerts and shows.

At the end go right under Hammersmith Bridge
The suspension bridge of 1827 was replaced in 1887 by the present structure designed by Joseph Bazalgette. It was a favourite target of the IRA. [

Continue along Lower Mall
There are 18th century houses. Furnivall Gardens was opened in 1951 and occupies the site of Hammersmith Creek, an outfall of the Stamford Brook.

Beyond the gardens continue along Upper Mall
The Dove pub was a former coffee house and next door was the Doves Press & Bindery. Kelmscott House of the 1780s was the home of author George MacDonald and later William Morris. The Corinthian Sailing club, occupying Linden House, was founded in 1894. The Black Lion pub to the right has an unusual ghost story. The gardens further along are on the site of the Middlesex Water Company premises. Hammersmith Terrace of the 1750s has 3 blue plaques. Number 7 was the home of Emery Walker (printer & antiquary) and has a preserved Arts & Crafts interior. It is now owned by a trust [
website]. Beyond the terrace are Durham Wharf cottages. There are also attractive cottages in Mulberry Place to the right.

Continue along Chiswick Mall
Miller's Court marks the site of a former bakery. Chiswick Eyot (Island) can be reached at low tide. There are fine 18th century houses including Walpole House and Bedford House. The Griffin Brewery is an old established business. Tours with tastings are available (charge) which must be pre-booked. Belle Vue was the home of the chief brewer and Red Lion House was a former pub. At the end a ferry operated until 1934. The church of St Nicholas with St Mary Magdalene retains a 15th century tower but was rebuilt in the 1880s. The grave of William Hogarth has an epitaph by David Garrick. There is information on the church on a

Go along Church Street
Parts of the Old Vicarage date back to 1658. The former Lamb's Brewery which operated 1790-1950s is on the right. Old Burlington was the Burlington Arms and Lamb Cottage the Lamb Tap. Notice the cottages in Page's Yard opposite.

Go to the left to view Church Square
The George & Devonshire is a grade II listed pub with smuggling associations. Boston House was built in the 1680s. The house to the left featured in Thakeray's 'Vanity Fair'

Take the subway to Hogarth's House
This was the artist's country house from 1749 until his death in 1764.

Go left along Hogarth Lane (Great West Road) and by the subway go left into Chiswick House grounds.
Chiswick House was designed by its owner Lord Burlington in the 1720s as a Palladian villa in which to display his art collection and entertain his friends. The grounds were laid out by William Kent.

The following is a suggested route around the grounds [accompanying map]
Continue along the main avenue and past the parks department yard go right to the Camellia House (5) and Italian Garden (4). Go around to the Deer House (6) at the end of the Ha-Ha from where there is a view of the Doric Column (7). At the junction of paths take Napoleon's Walk (9) to the right. From any point along this go to the left through the Northern Wilderness area (14) and take the path around the top of the lake (16). Continue on the lakeside path and cross the Bridge (15) to the left. Take the path to the right passing Lilly's Tomb (13) with a view of the Temple (12). The path comes to a Goose Foot (8) with an Exedra (2). Take the path towards the House (1) then go to the left to the Inigo Jones Gateway (3). From this go to the right to the cafe & toilets. From the cafe go round to the other side of the house (entrance). Continue along the path between the main lake and a smaller pond to view the Cascade (19). Follow the lakeside path then one of three paths to the left through the West Wilderness (17) to a Obelisk (18).

To return to Hammersmith by bus return to the main entrance and exit into Burlington Lane. To access Chiswick Station from the obelisk exit into Burlington Lane and go right. For the walk extension cross the railway at Chiswick Station and go right along Station Approach Road. Continue along Grove Park Road. At the end take the riverside path.
Strand-on-the-Green was originally a fishing village. There are a number of fine 18th century houses some with famous former residents. B Hopkin Morris Homes of Rest were built as almshouses in 1724. The City Barge pub was renamed after the Lord Mayor's state barge which was stored nearby during the winter.

At the end cross Kew Bridge Road to the station.

Walking London by Andrew Duncan
Village London by Andrew Duncan
London Villages by John Wittich
Walking London's Parks and Gardens by Geoffrey Young
Chiswick House & Gardens [

Read more about the Cherry Blossom factory which operated from premises at the Hogarth Roundabout [website]


london-footprints.co.uk 2012

[Places to visit] [English Heritage] [Blue Plaques] [Almshouses] [Booklist] [walks list]