A Barnes Mortlake & Kew Green Walk

Route & what to see


This 4 mile walk starts from Barnes Station and goes through Mortlake (past station) to the National Archives at Kew. This is set in an attractive park and includes a cafe, bookshop and museum. There is the option of an additional circuit of Kew Green (2 miles).

From Barnes Station building take the roadway (Station Road) to the left
Barnes Station in a mock gothic style was opened in 1846.

At Vine Road go to the right across Barnes Common bearing left to a group of buildings
These were associated with the windmill, recorded in the rate books 1740-1828, which was sited here.

Cross Mill Hill Road to join a tarmac path ahead and take this to the right. Cross Rocks Lane to toilets (closed) and walk left along this road taking the path alongside the playing field.
This road crosses the Beverley Brook, an 8 mile river which rises at Nonsuch and enters the Thames in Barnes. The playing field occupies the site of the Manor of Barn Elms. Residents included Francis Walsingham, Elizabeth I's spymaster and the Hoare banking family who sold out in 1827. After being used by the army during WWII it got into a poor state of repair and was demolished after a fire in 1954. At the traffic lights a lodge remains. The road to the right (Queen Elizabeth Walk) gives access to the London Wetland Centre set out in an area that was the West Middlesex Waterworks (1828). The road ahead leads to Hammersmith Bridge, first opened in 1827. The Red Lion was built in 1835 after the former thatched inn, The Strugglers, was destroyed by fire.

Take the road to the left (Church Road)
The Homestead dates to c1700. St Mary the Virgin Church is an old foundation with a 12th/13th century chapel and 15th century tower. There were a number of alteration and additions which were lost in a major a fire in 1978. The rebuilt church designed by Edward Cullinan was re-hallowed in 1984. [

Continue along Church Road, which has some attractive buildings, crossing just past Glebe Road. Go across the grass to the building by the pond.
This was a National School from 1845 - 1929 but now serves as a day centre for the elderly. The pond used to be fed from the Beverley Brook but is now rainwater topped up from the mains.

Go to the right of the pond and cross via the island to Old Essex House and Essex House
The High Street leads to the river. Old Essex House is a listed building, once owned by the Earl of Essex.

Go along Station Road
Milbourne House is the oldest building in Barnes with parts dating back to the 1400s. It has a blue plaque to the novelist Henry Fielding.

Go right into Willow Avenue
The Beverley Brook runs alongside this and at the end are the gates of Beverley Works.

Take the footpath to the right. Cross Brookwood Avenue and continue along Beverley Path.
This was once a route between Mortlake and Putney across the fields.

After going under the railway go ahead then right (not sharp right) along Thorne Passage to the church of St Michael & All Angels (1891-3). Turn left down Cross Street
This area is known as Westfields

At the end of the street go right along Railwayside. Cross at the level crossing and walk along South Worple Way alongside the railway.
This passes Barnes Hospital, Old Mortlake Cemetery and some attractive houses in Lodge Avenue

Cross over the railway via the footbridge and continue along North Worple Way
St Mary's RC Church of 1867 has an unusual tomb to Richard Burton, the Victorian explorer, in the churchyard.

Detour along Church Path to the right to view the parish church
St Mary's was built in 1543 although only the tower remains from this date.

At Mortlake Station take the path by the railway on the north side to Rosemary Gardens
These were almhouses for the Boot & Shoemakers Benevolent Association. They were sold in 1930 and there were plans to replace them with flats in 1967 but they were saved to become private residences.

Return to the Green and cross this and Lower Richmond Road into Ship Lane
There are brewery premises on either side.

At the end go left along Thames Bank and under Chiswick Bridge. Continue along the Thames Path.
This passes Mortlake Crematorium and new development on the site of drainage works.

Beyond the current sewage works take the second gate on the left (opposite a railed river outlet). At the end of this path follow the road to the left. Exit onto a roundabout and go right to access the National Archives building via the car park.

Optional extension (Kew Green)
From main pedestrian exit go down Ruskin Avenue (note porch tiles)
Right along Mortlake Road under the railway
Take Leybourne Park towards Kew Gardens Station then Lichfield Road to the right
Right along Kew Road to crossroads and across to east side of Kew Green
Across Bushwood Road and right along Watchcombe Cottages to allotments
Left along the riverside (Strand-on-the-Green is opposite)
Left to Thetis Terrace and Willow Cottages then left at the end
View Cambridge Cottages and old Dock Close to the left before returning to the Green
Cross Kew Road and walk around the west half of Kew Green with St Anne's Church. Notice in Bush Road a former ladies's lavatory converted into a house.

Buses 65 & 391 return to RICHMOND STATION (District line & mainline services) from Kew Road

london-footprints.co.uk 2009

Reference sources
Richmond and Kew Green by Nicholas Reed
Village London by Andrew Duncan
Rural Walks around Richmond - Richmond Rambler's publication
Richmond-Upon-Thames Official Guide Book

[booklist] [trails] [places to visit] [National Archives] [walks list]