Docklands & East London

site map

= admission charge EH = English Heritage & NT = National Trust (free entry to members)

walks list

English Heritage properties

National Trust properties

EAST HAM NATURE RESERVE - Norman Road E6 4HN. Tel 020 8470 4525
As well as a waymarked nature trail there is a visitor centre with wildlife dioramas. Open from 10am Tue - Fri until 4pm (winter) & 5pm (summer). Summer weekends 2-5. Winter weekends 1-4. Beckton walk

FASHION & TEXTILE MUSEUM 83 Bermondsey Street SE1 3XF. Tel 020 7407 8664.
Programme of exhibitions with shop. Open Tuesday - Saturday 11-6. Cafe open daily 8-6. Bermondsey walk

GUY'S HOSPITAL CHAPEL St Thomas Street SE1. Tel 020 7955 4591
One of the oldest parts of the hospital this is open daily. Bermondsey walk

LONDON GLASSBLOWING 62-66 Bermondsey Street SE1 3UD. Tel 020 7403 2800
Watch demonstrations and view & purchase items made. Monday - Friday 11-5. Bermondsey walk

THE HOUSE MILL Three Mills Island E3 Tel 020 8980 4626
This has been fully restored and is open for guided tours some Sundays. Cafe. Bow Back Rivers walk

RAGGED SCHOOL MUSEUM 46-50 Copperfield Road E3 4RR. Tel 020 8980 6405
Former canalside warehouses were converted into a ragged school - the largest in London from 1879 until closure in 1908. Recreated classroom and other displays. Open Wed & Thurs 10-5. Also first Sunday of the month 2-5pm (with Victorian lessons). Shop & cafe. East End Parks walk

TOWER HAMLETS CEMETERY PARK Southern Grove, Mile End. Tel 020 7364 5012
The last of the Magnificent Seven cemeteries opened in 1841 became Tower Hamlets first Local Nature Reserve. A millennium trail with numbered posts was set up with a leaflet guide published by the Parks Department. The Friends group have a programme of guided walks, conservation projects and children's activies. Open daily (except Christmas Day) 7am - dusk. East End Parks walk

MUSEUM OF LONDON DOCKLANDS No 1 Warehouse, West india Quay E14 4AL. Tel 020 7001 9844.
The history of London's river, port & people includes Warehouse of the World, Mudlarks and Sailortown galleries. Open 10-6 daily. Programme of events.
Free mailing list Tel 020 7814 5504. Shop, cafe and restaurant. East to West India walk

TRINITY BUOY WHARF 64 Orchard Place. Tel 020 7515 7153
Formerly used to test and store navigation aids and train lighthouse keepers it now provides workshops, rehearsal space etc. There are information panels and a moored lightship. Members of the public are free to look round the site or telephone for more information. Diner style cafe. East to West India walk

MUDCHUTE PARK & FARM Pier Street, Isle of Dogs E14 9HP. Tel 020 7515 5901.
Green oasis of 13 hectares with farm animals, nature trail, riding centre & stables, education centre, shop and cafe. Isle of Dogs walk

BRUNEL ENGINE HOUSE Railway Avenue SE16. Tel 020 7231 3840
This was built to contain the boilers for the world's first underwater tunnel and now houses an exhibition about this feat of engineering. Open Tue - Sun 1-5pm. Rotherhithe & Southwark Park walk

ROTHERHITHE PICTURE LIBRARY 82 St Marychurch Street SE16 4HZ. Tel 020 7231 2209
Housed in old granary buildings this is used as a research library by Sands Films but is open to the public. Rotherhithe & Southwark Park walk

ST OLAV'S NORWEGIAN CHURCH Albion Street SE16. Tel 020 7740 3900
Begun as a seamen's mission it now serves the Norwegian community in London. Small shop selling Norwegian goods also coffee & cakes. Rotherhithe & Southwark Park walk

ST KATHERINE'S DOCK St Katherine's Way E1
Now a marina with some historic ships. Surrounding listed buildings provide shops, cafes etc. Shadwell and Wapping walk

WAPPING PROJECT Wapping Wall E1W 3ST. Tel 020 7680 2080
This former hydraulic power station now serves as a venue, cafe and shop. Shadwell & Wapping walk

STEPPING STONES CITY FARM Stepney Way E1 3DG Tel 020 7790 8204
See a variety of animals in an urban setting. Refreshments, home produce and gifts on sale. Open 9-6 (summer) 9:30-dusk (winter). Closed on Mondays. Stepney & Limehouse walk

HAY'S GALLERIA Tooley Street SE1
Former dock and warehouses now with shops, cafes etc also 'The Navigator' sculpture.

SURREY DOCKS FARM Rotherhithe Street SE16 5ET Tel 020 7231 1010
Local community farm with animals, beehives, blacksmith and gardens. Produce and books on sale. Open daily 10-5 (summer) 10-4 (winter). Cafe (closed on Mondays).

TOWER OF LONDON Tel 0870 756 6060
Lots to see within this Royal Fortress including the Crown Jewels. Yeoman Warder tours included in admission. Special events in school holidays. Open daily.

VALENCE HOUSE Becontree Avenue, Dagenham RM8 3HT Tel 020 8227 5293
Restored house with local history displays and archives. Walled herb garden and cafe. Open 10-4 Mon - Sat. Closed bank holidays. 2013