Lion (Lyon) Streets (in central London)

Lyon Street N1 - short street off Caledonian Road south of railway and Pentonville Prison

Lyons Place NW8 - parallel to Edgware Road over Maida Vale Tunnel on Regent's Canal

Lyons Walk W14 - off Hammersmith Road just west of Olympia

Red Lion Close SE17 - between Walworth and Camberwell Roads

Red Lion Row SE17 - as Close

Red Lion Court EC4 - off Fleet Street just east of Fetter Lane

Named from the Red Lion Tavern of at least 1592 destroyed in the Great Fire. John Nichols published the Gentleman's Magazine here from 1781. Now comprises mainly of offices. There is a K2 telephone box. The early 19th century house (pictured) at number 18 was the former premises of Messrs Taylor & Francis. There is a printers sign of Abraham Valpy (1820s) on the wall with the motto 'Alere Flammam' depicting a hand pouring oil into a Greek lamp.

Red Lion Square WC1 - between Theobalds Road and High Holborn
Named from the Red Lion Inn in Holborn where the disinterred bodies of Cromwell, Ireton and Bradshaw were taken on their way to Tyburn for 'execution' in 1661. The square was laid out by Nicholas Barbon on a 17 acre paddock despite protests by the lawyers of Grays Inn. Number 17 was the home of Rossetti and later Morris and Burne-Jones. The company of Morris & Co was set up at number 8. There is a blue plaque on the wall of Summit House to John Harrison inventor of the marine chronometer (of Longitude fame) who lived and died here. In the square is a bronze bust of the philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell.

Red Lion Street WC1 - as Square

Red Lion Yard W1 - cul-de-sac at south end of Waverton Street, Mayfair
Runs alongside the Red Lion pub.

White Lion Court EC3 - off east end of Cornhill opposite St Peter's Church

Leads between Cornhill premises. The house of c1767 (pictured) at the end is occupied by the Carroll Insurance Group. It was used by Lloyds Register of Shipping 1834-1901 and was refurbished in 1987-90. The steps are guarded by two splendid white lions.

White Lion Hill EC4 - runs east of Blackfriars Station to Queen Victoria Street
This has to be one of London's most unappealing thoroughfares! At its northern end is St Benets Paul's Wharf (pictured). This Wren church of 1677-85 is one of the least altered and was used by ecclesiastical lawyers from Doctors Commons and heralds from the College of Arms. Despite its Dutch appearance it has now become the Welsh church.

White Lion Street N1 - east of Angel Station and parallel to Pentonville Road

White Lion Yard W1 - off Brook Street just west of New Bond Street
This name will disappear from maps over time as it, along with neighbouring Horse Shoe Yard, has been re-named Lancashire Court. On the White Lion Yard section is a tiled mural (pictured) 'London' by M Czerwinski with additional work by Ray Howell commissioned by CIS Co-op Insurance. It reads 'From the summer of 1723 until his death on 14 April 1759 Handel lived and composed many of his greatest works at number 25 Brook Street'. Lancashire Court runs behind and gives access to Handel's House, now a museum, at 25 Brook Street. 2004

[Lion index] [Site map]